Saturday, 31 October 2015

Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On
by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher:St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 384
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: October 6th, 2015
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Rainbow Rowell continues to break boundaries with Carry On, an epic fantasy following the triumphs and heartaches of Simon and Baz from her beloved bestseller Fangirl.

Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest, and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he’ll be safe. Simon can’t even enjoy the fact that his roommate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can’t stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you’re the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savor anything.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story — but far, far more monsters.
     



"You've slain a dragon, Simon. Surely you can manage a long walk and a few buses."

I want to marry this book. This bookie was amazing. If I could write a review and simply leave it this short and sweet, I would, but I can't so I shan't. Carry On is essentially me when I haven't had coffee or when I've had far too much of it - absolutely mind boggling, quirky, and sans filter.

"I should take this one off the list. F@#k the Wavering Wood."

Fans of Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl will remember Simon Snow and Tyrannus Basilton “Baz” Pitch, the stars of Cath's fanfics. When news broke that Rainbow would be adapting a novel solely dedicated to these quirky characters, I was pumped. Rainbow, who is absolutely lovely in person by the way, has yet to disappoint me and I was thrilled to learn that readers would be able to dive into the world of Simon Snow.

"If he's planning something, I'll find out," I say. "I always do." 
"So noted." 
"I mean it!" I shout after him. 
"Your sincerity is also noted!"

The world of Simon Snow, The Mage, and the Humdrum will resonate with fans of Harry Potter. Diving into Carry On, readers are immediately introduced to Simon's laid back and snarky narrative, who matter-of-factly points out that quite a bit has happened prior to the events in Carry On. As expected the events in Carry On move very quickly, sans character banter and melodramatics, and progresses quite smoothly to the end. Even so, I felt the plot of Carry On was thin and lacked the details any other novel of it's kind would possess. Whether or not this was intentional, I still enjoyed the ride that was Carry On. It was mysterious, thrilling, hilarious, and surprisingly romantic.

Regardless of thin plots, I absolutely loved Carry On's Simon, Baz, and company. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell was an extraordinary and unique reading experience, one I highly recommend.



Rating:
5 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was purchased by the blogger for their personal collection. No payment was received/accepted in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's

6 comments

  1. Excellent review Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! I loved Fangirl so much and can't believe I still haven't read Carry On. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't read any of her books before
    i have a list of them but don't know where to start
    any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're interested in starting Carry On immediately, try picking up Fangirl first. I also loved Eleanor & Park, Attachments, and Landline. =D

      Delete
  4. I agree, Wendy.
    I want to marry this book, too! It's everything I was expecting it to be and even more. So so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quotes I can remember from Carry On are literally endless. So much sarcasm and amazing passages. I understand what you mean by thin plots. Everything moved so fast and jumped from one part of the story to another very quickly. Still loved it to pieces though!

    ReplyDelete