Saturday, 9 July 2016

Review: And I Darken by Kiersten White



AND I DARKEN
by Kiersten White
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format:Hardcover
Release Date:June 28th, 2016
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
NO ONE EXPECTS A PRINCESS TO BE BRUTAL.

And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, who’s expected to rule a nation, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.
     


"So the question becomes, Daughter of the Dragon, what will you sacrifice?"

And I Darken by Kiersten White was one Summer 2016 title I was especially excited to read! Not only from one of my favorite authors (author of the Paranormalcy series, Mind Games, and more) but also because of the synopsis. Focusing on a retelling with a twist on the infamous Vlad the Impaler, And I Darken introduces readers to Lada Dragwlya, a powerful and brutal princess. In a tale full of action, conspiracy, and even love, readers are introduced to an interesting cast of characters that are sure to hook you in.

"Souls and thrones are irreconcilable."

And I Darken by Kiersten White was precisely what I had hoped it would be - intense. Though it took quite a few chapters for me to settle into Lada's dialogue and much of the setting, I found myself quickly falling for her sharp tongue and spot-on intuition. I adored this new twist on Vlad the Impaler, and cannot wait to read more in the series! Dark, mesmerizing, and addictive all in one package, I'm positive readers looking for a heroine with a sharp tongue and wit will enjoy this fantastic summer read.



Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited with the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

6 comments

  1. Thank you for your thoughts !
    I'm excited to see how it goes for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookish Willow9 July 2016 at 11:28

    I was curious on your thoughts on And I Darken. When you posted about this book a few months ago on your WOW post, I was wondering if the gender-bent protagonist would work out. Thank you for sharing your honest opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh great review I've been hearing amazing reviews about this book and it really does looks and sounds absolutely fantastic! Plus I've been dying to read a book by this author for a long time now. Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was intrigued by all the hype surrounding this one and so I was looking forward to getting my hands on that beautiful cover (which btw for some reason it has been changed on GR) but then the mixed reviews started pouring in and my excitement went from a 10 to a 6~ I do like the synopsis and the story does sound like one I'd enjoy what with the badass MC, the re-telling aspecta and the action but my expectations aren't so high anymore. I'm glad you enjoyed this one though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete