Sunday, 8 January 2017

Review: Freeks by Amanda Hocking



FREEKS
by Amanda Hocking
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: January 3rd, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Welcome to Gideon Davorin’s Traveling Sideshow, where necromancy, magical visions, and pyrokinesis are more than just part of the act…

Mara has always longed for a normal life in a normal town where no one has the ability to levitate or predict the future. Instead, she roams from place to place, cleaning the tiger cage while her friends perform supernatural feats every night.

When the struggling sideshow is miraculously offered the money they need if they set up camp in Caudry, Louisiana, Mara meets local-boy Gabe…and a normal life has never been more appealing.

But before long, performers begin disappearing and bodies are found mauled by an invisible beast. Mara realizes that there’s a sinister presence lurking in the town with its sights set on getting rid of the sideshow freeks. In order to unravel the truth before the attacker kills everyone Mara holds dear, she has seven days to take control of a power she didn’t know she was capable of—one that could change her future forever.

Bestselling author Amanda Hocking draws readers inside the dark and mysterious world of Freeks.
     



When Amanda Hocking first announced she had a brand new title headed our way I was beyond thrilled! I was thrilled because I'd loved her Trylle Trilogy, Watersong series, My Blood Approves, and other phenomenal titles. I've always been drawn by her spontaneous and unique characters, twists, and world building. With Freeks, I was eager to see where Amanda would take readers. I have had a fascination with traveling sideshows for as long as I can remember, and have devoured plenty of titles and binged countless shows and movies about the theme, and my curiosity and thirst for more has never quite been sated. With that said, Freeks was an absolute must and I couldn't have been more thrilled when Raincoast Books generously sent a copy to my very door!


“That's when I realized the chill wasn't coming from outside - it was coming from within me.”


Freeks was a promising title right from the moment I picked it up. It's dialogue, although rocky at first, introduced Mara, a girl longing for a normal life. As part of Gideon Davorin's Traveling Sideshow, her responsibilities have been to provide upkeep, never to perform. However, when the sideshow makes a stop in Louisiana, where Mara meets an intriguing boy, all sorts of chaos begins to ensue. Disappearances, an invisible beast, and more, drag Mara and her companions further into the thrilling ride in Freeks. I positively enjoyed the setting, time period, and character development for Mara and Gabe. Even more so, I enjoyed her well-rounded development not only of the other characters featured in the sideshow, but the realism behind the constant conflict many sideshows in the past had to endure constantly. With that said, however, I found issue with a few repetitive passages throughout the title, and felt that editing was a little lax. Despite that, I overall greatly enjoyed Freeks. It was an extremely imaginative and entertaining title and I absolutely cannot wait to read more from Amanda Hocking!



Rating: 
4 / 5 Cupcakes




This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

4 comments

  1. Excellent review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any books by Amanda Hocking before reading your review on Freeks. I didn't even know those books existed. Maybe because I'm very new to reading YA? HAHA? I'll have to check her out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Amanda Hocking! She's got a way of pulling you in through her characters, and I like how she shed light on the reality of these sideshows!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete