Friday, 19 May 2017

The Names They Gave Us Blog Tour - Review + Q/A


Hello, Cupcakes!
Today it is my pleasure to host the final stop on the The Names They Gave Us blog tour! Hosted by Raincoast Books, the blog tour has spanned the entire week with some fantastic bloggers sharing their personal thoughts on Emery Lord's latest novel in addition to some amazing Q/A sessions with the author herself! If you haven't already, I urge you to check out the tour posts - they're amazing! Below, you will find my candid review on the novel in addition to Emery Lord's answer to my question. I want to extend a thank you to the team of Raincoast Books and Emery for making this blog tour possible.

-----

THE NAMES THEY GAVE US
by Emery Lord
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: May 16th, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
When it all falls apart, who can you believe in?

Everything is going right for Lucy Hansson, until her mom’s cancer reappears. Just like that, Lucy breaks with all the constants in her life: her do-good boyfriend, her steady faith, even her longtime summer church camp job.

Instead, Lucy lands at a camp for kids who have been through tough times. As a counselor, Lucy is in over her head and longs to be with her parents across the lake. But that’s before she gets to know her coworkers, who are as loving and unafraid as she so desperately wants to be.

It’s not just new friends that Lucy discovers at camp—more than one old secret is revealed along the way. In fact, maybe there’s much more to her family and her faith than Lucy ever realized.
     


“You can be okay again. Just a different kind of okay than before.”

I honestly feel like anything with Emery Lord's name on it is an auto-buy for yours truly. I was impressed with her debut, OPEN ROAD SUMMER, and immediately not long after followed suit in binge-reading The Start of Me and You, in addition to When We Collided. When you think YA Contemporary, Emery Lord is a name that pops up quite often and for good reason - she's a spectacular writer! When The Names They Gave Us arrived on my door step, I couldn't wait to prop it open. What strong-willed heroine would I meet next? Would she be more like me, or maybe someone I know? Would I get to witness a unique personal growth for our heroine? I couldn't wait to learn more about Lucy Hansson!

“I believe in nature, in science, in jazz, in dancing. And I believe in people. In their resilience, in their goodness. This is my credo; this is my hymn. "

The Names They Gave Us was exactly what I expected it to be - life-changing, well-written, and so inspirational! Lucy was a character I so strongly related to, and the personal connection I felt with her through her experiences, struggles, triumphs, and failures, was astonishing. I feel like Lucy is one of the strongest characters I've read from Emery Lord yet, and I feel readers, even those who they themselves do not feel particularly religious, will enjoy. And although much of the book focuses on Lucy's coming to terms with her faith and learning so much more about herself, I felt that the book's strong message never faded from the surface, and I feel that Emery's beautiful writing and character building made for such a telling and inspiring story. It was bliss!



Rating: 
5 / 5 Cupcakes




-----
Q/A with author Emery Lord

Q: Emery, I ultimately loved following Lucy on her journey, and I want to thank you for making such a relatable character. I felt like I truly connected with her, having shared many of what she goes through in THE NAMES THEY GAVE US, and I found her loyal and brave personality immensely inspiring. My question is, how much work went into developing Lucy and her growing relationship and understanding of faith?


A: Thanks! I spent years on this book, and Lucy’s path was an integral part of that. I wanted to be really honest about what it can be like to grow up in a religious culture and how it feels when you start to harbor doubts. So, I did use a lot of knowledge from my own life. But, in a broader sense- beyond faith even, I wanted to write what it feels like as a teen to realize you may not want to do things the way your parents do. So, while there’s a lot that is particular to Lucy—the music and touchstones of church life—I hope some of it is pretty universal.



This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

3 comments

  1. I'm waiting on my copy to arrive, can't wait to read it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Emery Lord. I love how she writes flawed characters (her first novel is my favorite, and I loved the main character who was flawed but so likable and sympathetic!). And she knows how to write swoon as well, which is always fun and grabs you!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you were able to enjoy this novel a lot, and get into another one of Emery's novel. It sounds like she really does know how to write inspirational novels which truly move your soul. I can't wait to try this book for myself now!

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/04/article-three-book-review.html

    ReplyDelete