Monday, 9 October 2017

Review: Fireblood by Elly Blake



FIREBLOOD (Frostblood Saga #2)
by Elly Blake
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Release Date: September 12th, 2017
Purchase: [Amazon] [Chapters/Indigo]
Against all odds, Ruby has defeated the villainous Frost King and melted his throne of ice. But the bloodthirsty Minax that was trapped inside is now haunting her kingdom and everyone she loves. The answers to its demise may lie to the south in Sudesia, the land of the Firebloods, and a country that holds the secrets to Ruby’s powers and past…


Despite warnings from her beloved Arcus, Ruby accompanies a roguish Fireblood named Kai to Sudesia, where she must master her control of fire in a series of trials to gain the trust of the suspicious Fire Queen. Only then can she hope to access the knowledge that could defeat the rampaging Minax—which grows closer every moment. But as sparks fly in her moments alone with Kai, Ruby no longer knows whom to trust. The fates of two kingdoms are now in her hands.


     


First and foremost, Frostblood, the first in Elly Blake's Frostblood Saga, was not my cup of tea. It missed countless marks with me, especially considering I was immediately enamored by it's synopsis before picking it up. It was a let down, and although I had loved Ruby's personality and tale throughout Frostblood, I couldn't help feeling like so much was missing. There was plot development I was eager for that I never received, there was dialogue I felt was so necessary to the tale that was completely missed, but most of all I felt that Frostblood, as a whole, just simply did not peak the way I knew it could have. With that said, I was still determined to give it another chance with Fireblood, the second release in Elly Blake's saga. Would it miss the mark again, or would it finally bring me the action and suspense I so passionately knew could surface?

"I snapped back to the present, stumbling as an icy blast hit me in the chest. I rolled and regained my feet, but my sight remained foggy, the memory far too real. The skin near my ear where the Minax had marked me burned, and I cried out."

Fireblood was everything Frostblood could have been, and more. When they say the second book in a series often flops, they're almost always wrong. In the case of the Frostblood series, Fireblood was a thousand times more fuller, more exciting, and so much more promising. In Fireblood, our protagonist Ruby finally comes into her own, kicks all ass, and defeats the villainous Frost King and destroys his throne. But not all stays well after Frostblood's events. Not long after, Ruby travels with Kai, a fireblood, so she can hone her powers and achieve new heights in the hopes of defeating the Minax.

Overall, I adored Fireblood. It was, perhaps, one of the best YA fantasy titles I've read this year, even though it's predecessor let me down. I can say with a certainty that readers that did not enjoy Frostblood are certain to enjoy Fireblood. I promise that if you give it a try, that you will not regret it. If you're like me, who was disappointed in the slow pace and lack of character/plot development in Frostblood, then you'll certainly relish in the intense high stakes present in Fireblood. Now, onto book #3!


Rating: 
4.5 / 5 Cupcakes


This title was provided to the blogger by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review. No payment was received/accept in exchange for this review/post. The blogger requests that this review not be reposted or edited without the blogger's permission. The thoughts and words expressed in this review/post are explicitly the blogger's.

2 comments

  1. Frostblood was a four star read for me, however I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with the series. Based on your review, it looks as though I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started the series yet. I love the cover of this book - it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete